Our Mantra "RECALCULATE! RECALCULATE!"

Translate this Page

Sunday, September 13, 2015

What is wrong with this picture?

Hum? What is wrong with this picture? No it's not that there aren't maraschino cherries on it - I don't like them so I don't use them. It's a funny color isn't it? Not nice and golden brown. Was the oven not working okay? Was the cake not done? Nope the cake was baked just right, perfect in fact. The oven works good. Maybe I should put it back in the oven and cook it more? Nope then it would be dry.

 About an hour later after we both had some of it I realized what was wrong! I forgfot to add the brown sugasr to the melted butter on the bottom of the pan before adding the pineapple! HOW COULD I FORGET the brown sugar? Well it must be easy 'cause I did. So I quickly went hunting for brown sugar - it didn't travel well - was hard as a rock. I took a knife and shaved a bunch off into the bottom of the cake pan. Put the other cake back into the pan and put it back into the oven till the brown sugar melted. This looks a little more like it. Bill likes the one without the sugar - so he can finish it and I'll eat this one - with whipped cream!
At least I know the oven works good.
Today we've been taking it easy again. Went out to breakfast and did some shopping for things we are finding we need.  Yesterday while watching the race I added hanging tabs to my small quilts so today bought rods to hang them on. Also some picture wire so I can hang a couple of things that lost their wires.
Took a long nap and now just going to fix dinner. The extent of my activity today.

3 comments:

  1. You could mix some of that hard brown sugar and some butter and maybe a little water, and put it in the microwave until it is a sort of a syrup and then pour it on the pieces of cake as a sort of sauce.

    When I was a kid and we ran out of maple syrup, my dad used to make a sort of syrup this way out of brown sugar. Oh, and my brown sugar gets put in an additional plastic freezer bag and stored in the freezer. Lasts several months that way.

    I one made bread and left out the salt. Horrible tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With enough whipped cream on it it tastes okay. Brown sugar is now on grocery list. Will try the freezer storage - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it out of the box, but leave it in the plastic bag it comes in. Then put it in another freezer bag. You probably don't know what to do these days with so much storage space, but I take almost everything that comes in a box out of the box for storage!!

    When you need brown sugar, just let it thaw a few minutes and it will be soft enough to break off what you need. I used to do this before I moved into my motorhome.

    ReplyDelete